Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is CPLD XC9572XL

Status
Not open for further replies.

ep.hobbyiest

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What is cpld means??
Because till now i have used micro controller's only. and i have heard about FPGA only. but i am very unknown to CPLD.
what are the application and where is the normally used?
What is difference between micro controller and cpld??

CPLD stands for: "Complex Programmable Logic Device".
You should view them as simplified version of FPGAs.
Usually, they have less usable logic, no PLLs, less RAM (if any) and would also cost less and consume less power.

Nevertheless, their design and verification process is identical to FPGAs.
You write code in HDL, simulate it and burn them.
The specific device you described is a very old CPLD made by Xilinx (Who is also the largest FPGA vendor). The leading manufacturer of CPLDs however is Lattice.

Microcontrollers, are entirely different devices. Unlike FPGAs/CPLDs Their hardware is fixed and can't be changed.
Instead, you make it do what you want with SOFTWARE (C/C++/Assembler/Ada/etc..) that runs on that fixed hardware.

Because CPUs are essentially ASICs, they are highly optimized, cost less and consume less power. But due to the fact that they're sofware based. they operate serialy with every line of code executing in its turn.
FPGAs/CPLDs however offer parallel operation (line 10 of your code coexists with line 1010 of your code).

Last edited:
Means CPLD and FPGA are mostly same. but Cpld is lower version of FPGA.
Is it possible to to implement micro controller with all peripherals in FPGA/CPLD.??

Is it possible to to implement micro controller with all peripherals in FPGA/CPLD.??

It depends what peripherals you want, but essentially yes.

- - - Updated - - -

It depends what peripherals you want, but essentially yes.

Yes, you can say so.

Yes & No...
The digital circuits of the microcontrollers can be implemented using the FPGA's fabric - that's called a "soft processor": NIOS, Microblaze, OpenRISC are some examples.
Analog circuits however (USB PHY, Ethernet PHY, ADC, DAC, etc...) that are available on many microcontrollers cannot be implemented with the FPGA's fabric.

how can i simulate ? using proteus?
and which compiler is used normally?

I use Modelsim for simulation (which I think is the most popular choose).
For Sythesis & Implentation (the analog to compilation in software) you use FPGA vendor's tools:
Altera - Quartus
Xilinx - ISE/Vivado
Lattice - Diamond
Actel - IDE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back