Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using VHDL generic and configuration after synthesys to verilog netlist

Status
Not open for further replies.

iedition

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Using VHDL generic and configuration after synthesis to verilog netlist

Hi all,

Actually, all of my designs is VHDL file and use 'generic' and 'configuration' features.
Although I synthesized VHDL files to the verilog netlist, test bench files are still VHDL.
You know, sysnthesis tools such as DC don't support 'generic' and 'configuration'.

My question is how can I use only one test bench file in case of both RTL simulation and gate-level netlist simulation.
The most simple solution is just deleting generic and configuration lines in gate-level simulation. But I want use this tb in case of RTL sim(VHDL) and gate-level sim(verilog) like as '#ifdef' in C language.

For example, following code is part of a VHDL test bench.

Code VHDL - [expand]
INST1 : TOP_MODULE
        generic map(
        length => 5
    )
        configuration CFG_TB of TB is
        for behavior
            for INST1: TOP_MODULE
                use configuration WORK.CFG_TOP_MODULE;
            end for;
        end for;
    end  CFG_TB;

Thanks.

Last edited:

We face this issue during multiple projects, to solve, that we have two top_tb:
1- RTL code with generic and the test-bench.
2- netlist and the same test bench.

Then you could run the same simulations.

Why are you talking about DC. I don't understand. As rca has pointed out, the same testbench should be sufficient.

We face this issue during multiple projects, to solve, that we have two top_tb:
1- RTL code with generic and the test-bench.
2- netlist and the same test bench.

Then you could run the same simulations.

You are right. I could make two seperate top_tb, but I just want a way using only one test bench.
Maybe, there is no other way.
Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

After synthesis using DC, some VHDL features such as generic, configuration is removed.
That's why I refered to DC. Because verilog netlist don't have generic and configuration, the same VHDL testbench will not be compiled.
I think rca's method is right answer. But I just want to more simple way to use only one testbench.
Maybe... there is no another way...
Thanks.

You could just create a wrapper file that does have the generics and instantiates the netlist.

You will used the same test-bench, only the top_tb made the connection, the test-bench remains the same for both targets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back