Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Self locking switch mechanism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erol Terovic

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Basically, can anyone explain/draw the way these switches work: https://prntscr.com/45hnn9 I need it for a door lock project where a car actuator will be used as the locking motor. Since they can't stay on for a long time, I would need to make a simmilar mechanism where when the actuator hits the mechanism, the lock is activated, and when it hits it again the lock is released. Please help. :smile:

Attachments

• iJ3x1WS.png
    iJ3x1WS.png
    79.3 KB · Views: 126

Hi, I think that the mechanical mechanism inside could be slightly like pens retractable mechanism (see here Another kind explained here)...
The sliding could be done by a solenoid..

They work exactly like the pen mechanism Akai Bukai describes. The 'heart' shaped track is in the plastic of the moving shaft of the switch and a tiny steel spring wire travels around it to provide the latching action. It is exactly the same method as used by most push on/off power switches on dometic equipment.

If this is a mechanism that will operate many times, such as on a motor shaft, beware of the limited number of operations these switches are rated at. They are really intended for manual operation and the end of the shaft is shaped to accept a plastic button cap. For continuous operation it would be more appropriate to use a non-mechanical switch, maybe using optical or magnetic methods.

Brian.

Thanks guys, i am going to design something like this. It won't be used too often so I wouldn't worry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back