Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to pair three Wifi enabled devices together

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhanraj_kmr

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,
I am planning to make an Wifi enabled embedded board. And I want this board to receive commands from two Wifi enabled mobile phones simultaneously. And I want those phones to communicate between itself for some information sharing.

Steps like
1. press a button in android phone 1 using an app.
2. based on above button number, blink that many times a LED 1 on the board.
3. press a button in android phone 2 using an app.
4. based on above button number, blink that many times a LED 2 on the board.
5. Both app should know how many times opponents had pressed the button.

I have little knowledge about Wifi. But I understand from mobile phone and computer usage that I can connect many number of devices but only with usage of Wifi hub.
And can connect one to one using Ad-Hoc mode. Is it possible to make above communication without using any more devices such as hub something?

It would be helpful if you provide the info before I start on my work.

Ad-hoc network is not limited to only two devices (one to one) - you can have as many ad-hoc devices networked as you want. Well, up to the limit of bandwidth and overhead of course; and you are limited (I think) to 11Mbps but you don't need more from what you've said.

Ad-hoc network is not limited to only two devices (one to one) - you can have as many ad-hoc devices networked as you want.

So it is possible to select Ad-Hoc network mode in mobile without access point?
If so how can three devices(2 Mobile phones and One Embedded Device) connect with each other? means first i have connected my phone 1 to phone 2. Now i want to connect phone 1 to my board without disconnecting phone 2. Is it possible?

Using an ad-hoc network is little different to an infrastructure (one that uses wifi hubs/routers). They both use IP addresses to address hosts... that's it! ad-hoc is not 'one to one'. All you need to do is use software that allows ad-hoc mode to be selected in the configuration. Any decent IP network software 'should'. That said...

The catch in your scenario is that Android apparently doesn't connect natively to ad-hoc networks. I guess this is deliberate because ad-hoc is more limiting and less secure. There are ad-hoc apps that enable this function but I have no knowledge of their use. Have a look on the Play store.

Or, perhaps set one of the android phones up as a hot-spot (wireless access point) and have the other phone and embedded device simply use that is the AP in infrastructure mode. That might be an easier way to go unless you want to be able to bring in different phones all the time.

You might also find some alternative Android ROMs have ad-hoc mode, depending on your phones. For example CyanogenMod.

Thanks for your reply. And sorry for the late reply. We have dropped that project due to financial issues :(.

Status
Not open for further replies.