Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Comparison of PCB etching methods : UV LED method vs UV Tube method

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adwaittronics

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have searched online and found that there are two UV light box PCB exposure methods
1) By using UV LEDs .
2) By using UV Tube lights.

Guide me on following aspects:
1)Quality wise which is preferred/which will give better results?
2)If I have to make UV light box at home then which is faster and cheaper?

If they produce the same amount of UV light they will work identically.

However, UV tubes have a spectral peak at 365nm which is ideal for PCB production but common UV LEDs tend to be longer wavelength, typically 415 to 450nm which is not as good. You can buy 365nm LEDs but they are very expensive. Also consider a tube has a wide spread of light dispersion while LEDs tend to be only 15 degrees so you need lots of them to give uniform coverage.

You will find price variations but I would guess LEDs would cost around 40 to 50 times more than a tube and they need a more complicated control circuit but they would also last maybe 10 times longer. The choice is yours.

Brian.

which tube is suitable for PCB exposure, UV-A or UV-C series?
If I am not mistaken there is Actinic BL series by Philips for UV-A and BL-350 series by another company called Sylvania,am I correct?

UVA and UVC are not descriptions used in the kind of lighting used for PCB production but the optimal wavelngth of 365nm falls in the UVA category. Please note that UVA is a wide range of wavelengths (400 - 315nm) and includes 'black lights' which are not recommended for PCB use.

Brian.

i am also looking for same method because my first PCb get damaged using iron tracing method.So suggest me also.

Status
Not open for further replies.