Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cannot access external hard drive!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanmaedexandzelbladex

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello guys, I have a problem with my external hard drive. I connected it to my windows 7 laptop using an IDE to USB cable. I cannot open the folder. Anyway, more info can be requested from me but what I did is I typed "chkdsk H: /R /F" in the search for programs bar after clicking Start and then ran as administrator the chkdsk H: /R /F exe program that appeared. The result is shown attached here. Can you explain me what this means? I also tried diagnostic tools for my EHD (SeaTools, all tests FAILED). I have also tried two recovery softwares all produced no files. When I try to open the folder of the EHD in My Computer it says "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

Help me please. :(
I just want to know if there are still recoverable files in my external drive or not.

Attachments

• Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    17.2 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

CHKDSK is one of the first things to try. Its log seems to report that your file allocation table (NTFS table) is in good shape.
(I think 60 reparse records is not a disaster.)

Yet you report you cannot read the files themselves.

Did you use the IDE to USB adapter previously? Did it always work okay?

Did you try the classic tactic of powering down everything for at least 30 seconds?

Does your external drive draw power from the computer, or from a separate power supply? The computer USB port normally provides a maximum 500 mA. If your drive were to draw more, then voltage may go down, with unpredictable results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back