Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need to drive a second motor in parallel with a Optodiac/Triac existing circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Personne

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I want to add a booster fan further down the ducts in my house. The heat exchanger ventilator has 3 selectable speeds; I would like to drive the booster off of the same command board.

I could probably drive the second motor directly in parallel with the first one by adding a heatsink on the TO220 triac but I am concerned with durability because of the LRA current draw at start.

The circuit is deceptively simple but I don't want to overload the board or alter the preset speeds in any significant way.

The motors are identical; 149W, 1.31 FLA, 120 VAC. The BTA06-600C triac gate (pin 3) is driven by pin 4 of a MOC3043M zero-cross opto diac through a 200Ω, ⅛W resistor. The load is directly connected across the main triac terminals, no snubber cap/resistor between them.

I'm thinking of adding a dedicated BTA06 for the second motor but I wonder if the gate draw will affect the turn-on timing of the existing one. I guess my question boils down to what to do with the gate resistor(s) or if I need to double-up the opto too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back