Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A small problem about driving RGB LED Matrix

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanOzbek

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am trying to drive an 8x8 RGB Common Cathode LED matrix. I am planning to use four 74HC595 shift registers. The problem is that I want to get the maximum brightness out of the LEDs but I do not know which IC to use between output of shift registers and LEDs.

I am using 5050 smd RGB LEDs

View attachment 5060BRG4.pdf

I know that shift registers provide 20mA and 20mA is sufficient for the LEDs, however as 8x8 LED matrix is driven by one column at a time, the brightness is diminished by 8, so I need more current. (That's why in the datasheet of the LED there is a parameter called : "Peak pulsing current (1/8 duty f=1kHz) " I think )

The schematics of the driver circuit and the 8x8 matrix are :

595Driver3.png

CommonCathod8x83.png

What should I use in the box with the question mark in the schematic of the driver circuit? I am planning to use UDN2981 for the anodes and ULN2803 for the cathodes of the LEDs. Would this configuration provide me maximum brightness? I would appreciate if you could help me.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back