Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

water level sensor for detecting water levell in tanks at home

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirunavukkarasu

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i am designing a water level detection project, please suggest me a good water level sensor and a sensor to detect the flow of the water in the pipe.

For the level switch, a couple of stainless steel probes dangling into the tank. When they touch the water a small AC current will flow, if you apply an AC voltage to them. Detect the AC current, by detecting the volt drop across a series resistor.
For flow what sort of flow do you want to detect? Most detectors are just magnetic lumps that sit in a non-magnetic pipe. When enough water flows the magnet rises in the pipe operating an external reed switch. They are not very sensitive. I built my own that will detect three drops per second. its an ultra light float that gets pushed by the flow so it blocks the light from a LED to a photo detector, that are epoxied into the housing.
Frank

2 wires are enough to detect the liquid level. When you allow small dc voltage to flow through one wire and when the water level rises and 2 wires are shorted. You measure the signal and do some things like glowing leds etc.

But the above method is very poor and inefficient. It will work for less than week. Because current flow corrodes the wire leads and making it insensitive. You have to manually scratch the leads.

Low cost and most possible way is to use float sensor. I think you might aware of ritchie street in chennai as you are located in chennai. I have used that float sensor in my home and working perfectly and its cost is very low. Shop name: Rotex electronics. If you can, make use of it.

check the link. You can view the sensor in that image.
https://chennai.olx.in/water-motor-controller-iid-644062994

Status
Not open for further replies.