Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

peak to peak voltage ripples

Status
Not open for further replies.

DimaKilani

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I designed a switched capacitor and i need to measure the voltage ripples. I assume that the Vripple=5%Vout_avg.

when i simulate the circuit, i consider Vripples as peak to peak output voltage that is: Vripple= Vout_max - Vout_min. Should not i have to divide by 2 because am taking the peak to peak ?

Thanks

Hi,

Peak to peak means: The complete value of the max_voltage_peak - min_voltage_peak.
Don' t divide by 2

Klaus

Peak ripple would of course be (Max-min)/2 which is closer to rms noise, but depends on if your interest is thermal noise, clock feedthru or some other noise in the signal. Normally if it is fundamental f or 2f , we call it ripple, otherwise just "noise p-p" covers all types including transient noise.

https://www.seas.ucla.edu/brweb/teaching/AIC_Ch12.pdf

What do you mean by "Vripple=5%Vout_avg"? Is that the maximum ripple you want?
Whether you need to divide the pk-pk value by 2 or not depends upon the definition of Vripple.

For example, I have an output voltage that has ripples so I took the average Vavg. and then I assume that the expected Vripple= 5%Vavg. This means that Vout= Vavg+Vripple or Vout= Vavg-Vripple ? Does that true ? Then Vripple= V_max-Vmin/2 .. what do you think ?

Hi,

its a problem of definitions.:

ripple can be seen as AC. With AC you usually talk of RMS voltage. The average of a ripple should be near zero.
But how RMS and peak voltage of a "undefined" ripple is nobody can tell. Peak/RMS can be 0.5 or it can be 0.05 or inbetween or even worse....

With a pure sine the RMS value is 0.707 of the peak, but the average of the sine is zero.

With a pure DC signal then RMS = peak = average.

I know it is all that complicated.....

Hope this helps.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back