Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ethernet cable speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebgar

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm confused about the concept of speed in different ethernet cables.

Assuming I have 2 networks, one is 100M and the other is 1G. If I send anything less than 100M of data through each networks, will the speed be the same since bandwidth networks have a bandwidth greater than the data?
And if I send 1G of data, will it the speed be ten times slower in the 100M network than it would be in the 1G? But if I only send 200M then the 1G network would only be twice as fast as the 100M?

Thanks

If I send anything less than 100M of data through each networks, will the speed be the same since bandwidth networks have a bandwidth greater than the data?

No. 1Gpbs will always work at 1Gbps, even when you do not use all your bandwidth.

And if I send 1G of data, will it the speed be ten times slower in the 100M network than it would be in the 1G?

Yes.

But if I only send 200M then the 1G network would only be twice as fast as the 100M?

No, you will still be 10x faster. I think the main point is that you confuse Mpbs with Mbit.

100 Mbps = 100 Mbit/s. It is a bandwidth measure. E.g.: My connection supports up to 100 Mbps.
100 Mbit = Storage. E.g: My file size is 100 Mbit (or 12.5 Mbyte)

Status
Not open for further replies.