Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Max232 Type Rs232 Chips - What Type Of Capacitors, MAX232 Charge pump capacitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxpwny

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am building a project using a type of RS232 level translator that runs on just +5 Vdc.
The actual part is a Sipex/Exar SP207HCP, but I guess my question would apply to any similar IC that use charge pumps to build up the RS232 level voltages.

My Question is, must I used polarized capacitors as the charge pump capacitors ?

I have non-polarized caps that would fit much better and would prefer to use them.

I'm only going to running at 112K Baud and below - though likely no greater then 56k.

Hi,

I don't know this IC.
But in a good datasheet there should be a section called "capacitor selection".
Look for it.

If there is no such information i recommend to use X7R ceramic capacitors.
Any other ceramic capacitor will also work.

Hope this helps
Klaus

Voltage multipliers commonly charge capacitors to a DC level which is a little less than the supply voltage. They lose some, gain some, as AC goes through them with each cycle of charge-pump action.

It is likely non-polarized capacitors will do the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.