Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ethernet hardware design W5300

Status
Not open for further replies.

asadi.siyavash

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have designed my board with W5300 that worked with FPGA Spartan 6. I draw schematic as like as reference schematic of W5300, just I used HR911105A RJ45 connector with internal transformer of HANRUN company, instead of RJ45 Connector of reference “RD1-125BAG1A”. I draw my PCB with all details refer to documents of W5300.
My problems are:
1.When I attached W5300 it consume 220mA that I think it isn’t normal, Also W300 will be warm.
2.As you see in the Schematic when I remove 3.3VA current drop to 70mA and W5300 will not be warm
3.when I get PING from PC it doesn’t recognize any Ethernet hardware.
4.When I attach cable to RJ45 connector RJ45 LED’s start blinking.
I attached
I attached my Schematic,
any help would be greatly appreciated .

Last edited:

Did you actually populate both the oscillator and the crystal? You are supposed to only populate one or the other. The documentation doesn't seem to say much about which clock input should be used when in internal phy mode.
Capture.PNG

Hi ads-ee
no I used both of them in the schematic one of them (Oscillator) is optional. So I just solder Crystal on the board and I didn't use Oscillator.

1.When I attached W5300 it consume 220mA that I think it isn’t normal, Also W300 will be warm.
From the W5300 datasheet **broken link removed**
The W5300 has a typical rating of 180 mA and a maximum of 250 mA on the 3.3V supply. So 220 mA isn't all that abnormal even when you subtract the 70 mA (leaving 150 mA) that you get with the W5300 removed from the 3.3V.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you sure you've configured the W5300's internal registers correctly?

because I use FPGA and VHDL it is possible that I have problem in configuration, but one thing is abnormal and I it made me hesitated was IC temperature, it was warm after some minutes, is it possible that it was for bad configuring? but it will be warm when FPGA doesn't programmed.
really thanks ads-ee,

The part is dissipating 3.3v*150mA = 0.495 W. So I would expect it would warm up a little. If it's so hot you can't touch it then you have a problem. If it gets up to 40-50C that's probably pretty normal.

yes I Think your opinion is reasonable, I will test it again and tell, what happen.
best regards.

Attachments

• Ethernet_W5300.PDF
    482.7 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

One unfamiliar thing is when I checked crystal Pins both of them are 0.5volt, they doesn't oscillate, is it correlate to configuration? or just correlate to hardware and initialization isn't important?

One unfamiliar thing is when I checked crystal Pins both of them are 0.5volt, they doesn't oscillate, is it correlate to configuration? or just correlate to hardware and initialization isn't important?
Oscillator operation shouldn't depend on software intilization, but it does depend on test_mode inputs. It might be that asserting #RESET stops the oscillator.

How do you measure oscillator pin voltage?

I tested my circuit again, Test Mode are '0000'. When Cable is connect to the board crystal doesn't work!
But when I disconnect Cable the Crystal work with 25MHz frequency with 100mV Peak-to-Peak and 0.9 volt DC offset.
Also I checked ETH_3.3volt and it is 3 volt, but when I disconnect 3.3V_A it will be 3.3volt.

Last edited:

In the schematic, Eth_3_3V is the board input voltage. We can't know why it drops under load.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back