Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Given, a 24v DC motor: can I use 24v and ground AND/OR, +12v and -12v ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmarks6205

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
'Tho I am 62 years old, I JUST became aware of how incredibly interesting electronics truly is. I have watched many hours of YouTube in the past couple months, and have purchased a "training book with a matching kit" - so having a lot of fun learning very basic things. I have a basic question about DC electricity for which I can't seem to be able to Google an answer: given a two-wire 24v DC motor, will it "care", if I provide +24V and ground, OR if I provide +12V and -12V. Given both provide a 24v difference in "potential", is there really a difference - in the simplest model? Thanks - Jon

Welcome to a truly fascinating + addictive subject area (electronics and all things electrical) Jon!

Your intuition is certainly correct - nope, the motor won't care. As you say, all it "sees" from either source is a 24V potential difference. The 'absolute' voltage is (generally) irrelevant :)

thylacine1975: Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I'm feeling much better about "modeling" the problem I am currently trying to fix. The "problem" I'm trying to fix: I have a massage chair, which I can no longer live without - and after 7 years, it is broken electronically, and has several 24v DC motors. High-level symptom: hand-held controller indicates power up, and responds to inputs (via visual display) - but the chair makes no movement. I pulled out the power supply/controller for examination and see the unit has two transformers: 1.> 115v to 12v AC (relatively small), and 2.> 115v to 21v/16A (relatively much larger toroidal). While I could measure the output of transformer #1, I could NOT get a voltage reading from the toroidal. It turns out the primary winding on that transformer is "open", so I believe I truly have root cause. But since I have not YET been able to locate a replacement (and since I am now FASCINATED by what I am seeing/learning), I decided to hook up a variac, in place of the toroidal and see what I could learn. Here is where the model I was building started to go "sideways". With the variac providing 21v, I expected I would see +24v and -24v DC after the bridge rectifier - mostly because the of the silk-screening in MANY places on the board, AND because I know all the motors are labeled 24V DC. But I am only getting +12v and -12v (roughly) from the rectifier (KBPC3506, which the data sheet tells me is a "half-wave" rectifier, BTW). So this "scared" me a bit, in terms of me thinking, either: 1.> something ELSE is wrong, or 2.> I had not wired in the variac properly (al'tho it seems incredibly straightforward). But then when I measured the voltage in the two supporting 50v 3300microfarad capacitors, I got a reading of roughly 29.5v. Which I can make sense out of mathematically, if I take 21v rms and apply the 1.4 factor for "peak voltage" - I could understand the caps charging to that voltage (<--is that a fantasy from watching too may YouTube videos?). Now coupled with YOUR answer, that the motors COULD run on +-12v supply, I'm starting to think that the only "problem" I probably have, is the toroidal went belly up - and the fact that the primary went bad is really a good thing, since the primary is electrically isolated from the rest of the electronics, completely - right? Does that model sound, at least, "in the ballpark" to you - or are you just LYAO right about now? :) No worries, I know I don't have much of a clue, but I am enjoying this. THANKS !! - Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back