Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB device with Bluetooth

Status
Not open for further replies.

lkjason

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I am doing a project on connecting bluetooth to an USB device (e.g. USB mouse or keyboard).

But I am not sure how to start this project? How to connect Bluetooth module to USB device? Can anyone give some suggesstions and examples?

Please describe your requirements in more detail. Do you want to use bluetooth as a add-on module or do u want to program some higher bluetooth layers specific to your needs.

I have an idea of adding bluetooth to an USB mouse.

I want to connect a bluetooth module to the mouse through the USB interface. As I found that many bluetooth module support USB, I just want to make use of this feature. Is it possible?

Or, I connect a Bluetooth USB dongle to the USB mouse and modify the frimware of the dongle to drive the mouse. Is it possible too?

It is not possible to make use of any avialable usb dongle without any hw + sw changes. The work is two way, I think

on the windows side, u have to either modified, the driver for the bt dongle which recognized the attached bt device as bt mouse device :). On the mouse side u need microcontroller with usb (communication with mouse)at one end and bt(for communication with pc ) at the other end. You have to write your own sw in microcontroller to handle it.

If you are doing it for fun, then it will be a bit expensive doing it. :)

Maybe some one else can suggest a easiest way :)

You can't connect 2 USB devices together...end of story!!!

Your bluetooth module must then implement USB host functionality which requires some hardware/software overhead....

Or you take a PC with 2 USB ports and plug in your 2 devices...that's the best/fastest solution...

I just want to do this project, but is it really possible to use microcontroller to connect 2 usb devices?

Which microcontroller should be used for this purpose? How to load the bluetooth dongle driver and usb mouse driver to the microcontroller? Am I need to write them by myself?

it is possible, but u need to do a lot of. But I think its not feasible to use dongles, First u dont have drivers for microcontrollers, u have to write ur own which u cant because the dongle manufacture dont provide their dongle hw details. So u goona need a bluetooth radio device which can be hooked to microcontroller through serial interface, e.g. bt radio chip made by ericsson or national semicondutor.

On mouse side, I think there can be alternatives to interface it with microcontroller. In essence you have to programs it to handle its interface to mouse. You might need to read standard mouse interface specification to understand what's going on.

I will suggest try to collect as much as knowledge about the things before you starting.

The solution is not easy. You can use an "expensive" Serial Port Adapter to Bluetooth, (www.connectblue.se) with a serial mouse. Then you have to supply both, the mouse and the adapter. The PC only need a cheap USB to Bluetooth adaptor.

Nevertheless, I don´t understand this. We can use a wireless mouse.

I have just found something called USB On-The-Go controller (e.g. Philips ISP1362). Do you think it is suitable for my project?

Did anyone hear it before? Have you use it before? Can anyone provide more info about it?

If you know the device why don't you just read the desciption/datasheet/application notres at Philips website???

**broken link removed**

USB OTG is a specification where a "device" can either be a USB device or USB host....

But I'm still wondering why you choose a project even me with almost 20 years electronic experience won't do it (o;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back