+ Post New Thread
    Member level 2
    Helped
    2 / 2
    Level

Ethernet Cable Splitter

will it work if i used cable Splitter, one Rj45 is connected in my router and the other RJ45 is in my R232 to TTL Converter.

•   AltAdvertisement

Advanced Member level 3
    Helped
    170 / 170
    Level

Super Moderator
    Achievements:
    7 years registered
    Awards:
    2nd Helpful Member
    Helped
    4456 / 4456
    Level

Re: Ethernet Cable Splitter

No, for the reasons kam1787 has already explained. What are you trying to achieve by plugging an RS232 to TTL converter into Ethernet anyway?

Brian.
    PLEASE - no friends requests or private emails, I simply don't have time to reply to them all.
    It's better to share your questions and answers on Edaboard so we can all benefit from each others experiences.

•   AltAdvertisement

Newbie level 6

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Thanks kam1787 for the links. Yes, I understand that there's no such thing as Ethernet Splitter, only RJ485 Splitter. I have a different question. Can I use a RJ485 Splitter to connect its second splitted end to a logic analyzer, or to a listerning-only device, all for the purpose of seeing what's travelling in the cable?

Super Moderator
    Achievements:
    7 years registered
    Awards:
    2nd Helpful Member
    Helped
    4456 / 4456
    Level

You are confusing the names, RJ45 is the plug commonly used for ethernet connections, RS485 is an electrical specification for data transmission, I've never come across RJ485.

In both cases it is possible to attach a receiver across the lines to monitor the traffic but difficult, if possible at all, to transmit into the wires. With RS485 you just attach a receiver IC (I use ADM488 and 489 devices or their Maxim equivalents) to convert the differential data back to single ended serial. With ethernet it is a bit more difficult because the lines are typically floating and terminated, you might need to use a hub as a signal splitter or make a high impedance differential receiver so you don't load the original signal too much.

Brian.
    PLEASE - no friends requests or private emails, I simply don't have time to reply to them all.
    It's better to share your questions and answers on Edaboard so we can all benefit from each others experiences.

•   AltAdvertisement

Newbie level 6

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Quote Originally Posted by betwixt View Post
    You are confusing the names, RJ45 is the plug commonly used for ethernet connections, RS485 is an electrical specification for data transmission, I've never come across RJ485.

In both cases it is possible to attach a receiver across the lines to monitor the traffic but difficult, if possible at all, to transmit into the wires. With RS485 you just attach a receiver IC (I use ADM488 and 489 devices or their Maxim equivalents) to convert the differential data back to single ended serial. With ethernet it is a bit more difficult because the lines are typically floating and terminated, you might need to use a hub as a signal splitter or make a high impedance differential receiver so you don't load the original signal too much.

Brian.
    Thanks Brian. Yes it was just a typo, I meant RJ45 Splitter, or maybe more exactly signal splitter.
    And I think you answered my question. A hub is not readily available over here. Can you tell if the input of a logic analyzer has already a built-in high impedence differential receiver? One is also not available here, I just wonder.

Super Moderator
    Achievements:
    7 years registered
    Awards:
    2nd Helpful Member
    Helped
    4456 / 4456
    Level

I have never come across a logic analyzer with differential inputs but you probably wouldn't need them. Just connect two channels, one to each line and you should see both signals, one normal and the other inverted. Some models may have a facility to perform math on the signals so you could invert one and add it to the other to get a representation of what a real receiver would see. I have several logic analyzers, oftern using them all at once on the same equipment but the best I have found is this one: https://www.saleae.com/logic

Brian.

--[[ ]]--