Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Setting Voltage refrence for MAX9691 Voltage comparator

Status
Not open for further replies.

MouradR

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Guys,

I am trying to use voltage comparator MAX9691 in my design. Basically the input signal is sinusoidal with peak of 200mV. So, I want to wire up this comparator in order to detect the pulse when it exceeds 20mV. The IC is 8-pins and very simple but I don't know how to set the reference voltage or the threshold voltage in this IC correctly.

Thanks
-M

There are no built in references so you would have to set it externally with a resistor divider.

This comparator expects 50 Ohm terminations since it exceptionally fast with +5/-5.2V.

Alternatively, you can use +/-20mV hysteresis to square up the sine wave. But if you want to PEAK detect the presence of a signal > 20mV then you need a peak detector cct. then a comparator cct.

Thanks for your response,

But I am still confused about something. In the datasheet there is circuit example (Figure 1. Regenerative Feedback—High-Speed Receiver with 50Ω Input and Output Termination). This example has VT = -2V. Is VT here the Threshold voltage ? and if yes does it mean if I can manage to do voltage divider as you mentioned with 20mV and connected to VT. The comparator should detect the pulse when it reaches 20mV

Am I correct or missing something ?

Thanks
-M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back