Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Computer interface modules for process control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

i want to work on a computer interface module for process control. But i really do not know where to start. Since i do not really have an ideal about interfacing. I would like to find out about the following.

1. what programming language is the best to use. id it possible to use Visual basic.

2. could windows be used or do i have to look for an open source (code) operating system.

3. i want to use either a serial or parrallel port, and i should be able to store the data for processing.

4. the data signal is digital.

i would be grateful if someone can give me a clue on how to start, and guide me through, books required to read on process control.

Thanks

hi

1. what programming language is the best to use. id it possible to use Visual basic.

yes u can use vb (but for me my exceprience is with c#)

2. could windows be used or do i have to look for an open source (code) operating system.
yes

3. i want to use either a serial or parrallel port, and i should be able to store the data for processing.
u can use either but ....there is an activex tool for serial port that will make your life very easy

best wishes

Its possible to use almost any programing language, but Id sugest C or C++.
You can use windows, or any toher Operating system you want. Since your data link is on serial or paralel I asumme you do not need realtime responses, case in which usual operating systems, Windows included , are not suitable for the aplication.

If you are planning to do digital control, then it's probably worth buying a DAQ.

Thanks,

I just want an advice on where to start, that is the software to use . It is going to be a realtime stuff, where data would be obtained, processed and the necessary information sent out.

Someone was advicing me to use an operating system like Linux which is an open source operating system.

Is it true that windows would not work for such processing, i want to be really sure about this. what programming language would give me less problems.

How do i start, i am really confused. I need someone to help me out. i dont mind a PM.

Thanks

You can access the standard ports like serial/parallel from just about any programming language. OS does not really matter besides the fact that implementation may be different.
For control, what is crucial is normally speed. What are you interfacing to since you mentioned that signals are digital. It would be preferable to check what kind of interfaces your device offers.

hello

I think you will see wed http://www.thaiio.com that give you some information about i/o under windown for lpt port and more
thank.

Added after 5 minutes:

can you used vb this file use with vb for i/o under window

Hi 001,

You mean you are trying to development HMI for
process control using desktop pc.since HMI is a part of SCADA you can find a lot of commericial products like iconics,intellution or wonderware...etc.
But if develope by yourself ,first figure what device your process monitoring for example PLC,RTU...
then you can decide which os and language would be better for those devices.by the way,how real-time your project request is most important because it could lead to to another different kind of implementation.

Good luck

Thanks

I decided to use C++ for the programming on windows. How do i go about the data aquisition using parallel ports. is there any link or book that is recommended i use.

I have developed small HMI application in VB6 for ACID diluation Plant which is interfaced with my PIC controller which in turn controls the Valve and Pumps using Parallel Port. If you want the code I can post on the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back