Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Effect of Subreflector which is in the near-field of Feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadi-Alik

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

What happens if the sub-relfector is in the near of antenna's main feed in a dual-reflector antennas? As feeds are normally electrically large, their farfield distance is quite large! and What is the solution?

Cheers,
Hadi

The far field is a concept that relates to the radiation (secondary) patterns stabilizing at some distance and appearing much like they appear when the observer is a very long way away. The idea does not really apply to feeds, sub-reflectors and main reflectors.

My point is that since the feed is very close to the sub-reflector (near field region), we have to take their mutual interactions into consideration rather than just exposing the sub-reflector with the feeds radiation pattern in simulation. Now what is the effect of this interaction, and how much deteriorates the main reflector illumination?

I agree. Reactive near field and near field interactions are present in spades. I do not think of these as degrading the interactions, but they are quite complex. Simulators are very capable (e. g. expensive ) today and accurate predictions are often achieved. I am not sure how to answer what you are now asking. Try by reading one of the antenna text books that address the myriad of possible interactions.

A

Let's see a simple qualitative way to see that a reflector can affect the feeder.
Let's consider feeder and a reflector consisting of an infinite perfect conductive plane. Then, by the method of images, the plane can be substituted by the image of the feed. In far or near-field, this image has an interaction with the original feeder, dependent of their distance and position.
Regards

Z

The near-field interaction in antenna optics is known and has been studied in many designs.
Find a good textbook on microwave antennas and follow the experts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back