Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Which is the best 3D modelling software for beginners

Status
Not open for further replies.

livayahurd

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Till date had to design and make PCBs alone. Now I am assigned to work with the plastic/metal case for those products we make. I have never tried a 3D modelling software yet.

Can you please help me here by guiding me in choosing a 3D modelling software that can help me make things like plastic/metal body of flashlight, network router, inverter case etc. I feel bad that I didn't take the opportunity to learn it when I had the chance.

I have to make these send these designs to the manufacturer for making the moulds.

Thanks in Advance.

Liva

solidworks, CADKEY, Pro/ENGINEER, CATIA, Solid Edge, Inventor, and AutoDesk/AutoCAD are all 3d cad software tools that can be used for your purposes. There are also quite a few free software tools out there. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_CAD_editors_for_AEC. You probably want to get one that is compatible with your PCB layout tools.

Hopefully your company knows it can cost anywhere from about $5K(cheap china) -$30K just for a mould for such things
and letting a novice design one could be slow and or costly. And dont take reidintransits comment about compatibility lightly -
that should probably be your prime concern.

Hopefully your company knows it can cost anywhere from about $5K(cheap china) -$30K just for a mould for such things
and letting a novice design one could be slow and or costly. And dont take reidintransits comment about compatibility lightly -
that should probably be your prime concern.

Really!! Like we never thought of...

Time to market not an issue then. Ok good luck with that.

AutoCAD is not true 3D and is the wrong choice for what you want, use either Autodesk Inventor or SolidWorks.
I would also read as much as you can on the properties of different kinds of plastics as you will need this information to design plastic injected moulded cases (fibre reinforced, strengths weaknesses features that can be supported. I would also invest in some books on plastic injection moulding, assembly and fasteners, Automotive based books are good) and this:
https://www.amazon.com/The-First-Snap-Fit-Handbook-Attachments/dp/1569903883
Then you'll have to discover the beauty of split lines, undercuts (bad) slide outs etc etc....
How soon before they want the first product?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back