Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Porting OS-specific code to a microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

vreg

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Platforms vs architectures

What is the difference between something which is described as a platform, and a microcontroller/architecture?

For example, some codes are platform-independent and architecture specific. What does that mean? Can a code be architecture-independent but platform-specific?

I also read that sometimes platform and chip level code is mixed. What does that mean exactly? How is portability issue solved if platform and chip level code is mixed?

If a library is created for a specific operating system, what part of it would you need to change so that it can work with a microcontroller such as the Arduino 8-bit AVR platform? How can I make a library that can be compiled for any operating system or microcontroller as desired?

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

platform is a more general term

as to changing a library to work with a different controller/architecture it all depends on the system calls and functions used

I doubt you could make a library that covers any OS or controller - certainly anyone that would be a value would be nigh impossible.

as to changing a library to work with a different controller/architecture it all depends on the system calls and functions used
What part of the code would you have to change to port a library that works with an embedded OS to work with a microcontroller platform like arduino?

I doubt you could make a library that covers any OS or controller - certainly anyone that would be a value would be nigh impossible.
I believe there are some libraries that work with different operating systems/platforms and you have to just pass some parameter values to them before compilation or something like that. How do they do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back