Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2 Routers, 1 Switch, 1 PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

dellpe

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to be able to have PC access to 2 different routers either their web gui interface or access to the WAN each router provides. Currently, both routers are plugged into the internet modem. I always have 1 ethernet cable from my PC connected to one of the routers. When I need to switch from one network to another, I unplug the cable from that one router and plug it into the other. I also have at my disposal a huawei S5700-28C-EI switch but currently it is not used in this particular setup.

Is it possible for me to connect my PC along with both routers into this switch and then run 2 ethernet cables from this switch to each port on my internet modem? I am trying to figure out a way I can connect everything up to my PC at once and easily, without disconnecting cables, switch from one wan/router to another. Is this possible using this switch and if so, how do I switch from one router to the other while remain at my PC?

The purpose of two Huawei NE40E routers, each with their own IP, is mostly for testing different setups. Just to mention a few, for instance, creating a VPN on one network then switching to the other to test it. As well, I have a bunch of home automation devices connected to my (main) lan I want to be able to test via local and remote access.

Perhaps an ethernet data switch? (Not too different from A/B switches used in audio, video, parallel port, printing, etc.)

Here's a link to an item which looks as though it handles A/B ethernet communications:

Are any of your routers/modems wireless? Can you connect to one of them via wireless, and to the other via ethernet? I believe you could communicate on both simultaneously.

It might also work to install an additional ethernet card.

I have networked my own computers (Mac and PC WinXP), and I have gotten familiar with network settings and control panels. I have only seen them recognize one ethernet port... however that might be because my computers each have only one ethernet port. There may be software that can look out beyond your port to find multiple networks, and let you choose which one to communicate with.

Status
Not open for further replies.