Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sending character via wifi using Hyper Terminal to microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

shruv

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
My project is dealing with switching on appliances from laptop (PC) wirelessely.
I've purchased a wifi module which is serial connected to microcontroller board. From the laptop via wifi,I want to sent the character using the Hyper Terminal software.
Can I connect two systems through wifi connection and send data through the hyper terminal? (how do I connect to another system's hyper terminal wirelessly?)

You have a few hurdles to accomplish:

(a) make the uC wifi recognize the laptop's radio signal,

(b) run the needed program on the laptop which will broadcast command codes,

(c) run the needed routine on the uC which will receive those commands.

Obtain a free program called NetStumbler, a utility which detects local wireless broadcasts. Run it on your laptop and see if it detects your microcontroller's wifi.

If it does, then you will need to adjust a bunch of settings. These are the protocols for wireless networking.

I cannot advise about how to adjust settings on your uC's wifi module.
My experience is limited to a few ordinary computers and ordinary networking (ethernet and wireless). I have not used Hyperterminal.

Expect it to be time-consuming, to set up the system and get it to work.
If you are very lucky you will hit on the right combination to activate your uC's wifi module.

Reactions: shruv

shruv

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
You have a few hurdles to accomplish:

(a) make the uC wifi recognize the laptop's radio signal,

(b) run the needed program on the laptop which will broadcast command codes,

(c) run the needed routine on the uC which will receive those commands.

Obtain a free program called NetStumbler, a utility which detects local wireless broadcasts. Run it on your laptop and see if it detects your microcontroller's wifi.

If it does, then you will need to adjust a bunch of settings. These are the protocols for wireless networking.

I cannot advise about how to adjust settings on your uC's wifi module.
My experience is limited to a few ordinary computers and ordinary networking (ethernet and wireless). I have not used Hyperterminal.

Expect it to be time-consuming, to set up the system and get it to work.
If you are very lucky you will hit on the right combination to activate your uC's wifi module.

Thank you. Found a software called tcp bridge that allowed me to send data from laptop hyperterminal to the other system hyperterminal via wifi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back