Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is PCB Reverse Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigitalWork

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Mentor, :)

I am a PCB layout designer and I want to know about PCB Reverse Engineering .
The tools and techniques involved. The whole Process.What Should I require(tools) to do reverse Engg.
And also about how a black blob PCB reverse engineered. and how to reverse engineer a more than 2 layers PCB.

Thanks in advance.

At its simplest - its taking an existing physical PCB and producing a schematic, PCB and manufacturing files based on only the original PCB.

So take a PCB, identify all its components, then try and identify the netlist, where all the connections between each component goes.

For a double sided board its quite easy albiet time consuming.

Having recently done a 6 layer board with 4000 pins, 2000+ nets its not easy when it gets to the bigger boards.
Striping a board, using a bed of nails or roving probe tester can help - using a simple probe & buzzer will take ages.

@Mattylad

That's quite an achievement you have in reverse engineering a board of such complexity and pin count. I've done quite a bit of it myself for the last 15 years and have written a book on this subject which was released in Amazon on February 28 this year!

PCB reverse engineering is an interesting endeavor but certainly it's not for the impatient or faint-hearted, given the challenges and requirement involved. Blindly jumping in and using brute force will often prove frustrating with PCBs that are of medium complexity or more. Having a good strategy (understanding) and right approach (methodology) are important to a successful attempt, even if you happen to have good equipment at your disposal. After all, the tools are only as good as the craftsman who use them.

@DigitalWork

If you're still looking at this subject, you might want to take a look at my website and blog at www.visio-for-engineers.com. I'm in the process of backtracking from when I started writing my book last April so hopefully you'll be able to find some useful information there.

An engineer from UK who does PCB reverse engineering quite a bit himself had bought my book and given his review here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/RCO...annel=detail-glance&nodeID=266239&store=books

Wishing you all the best as you enter into this exciting world of unraveling the beauty of the original design. And have fun doing it too! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.