Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

vhdl testbench assert question

Status
Not open for further replies.

hithesh123

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In my testbench, I am writing data to one of the registers in the UUT.
The UUT is a SPI slave.
How do I check if the data is being written to that register using assert.
The testbench generates only SPI signals.

I can see in the simulation that data is being written to that register, but how do I check using assert.
I am using ISE 13.6 for simulation.

which language you are using?
in verilog/system-verilog you can use the hierarchical dot operator " . ", for getting the registers or signals in the testbench.
In vhdl also you can use the hierarchical operator, i dont remember whether its dot " . " or slash " / "

You need to use VHDL 2008 to get access to signals/variables via the heirachy. Otherwise you have to route the signal into your testbench to access it.

I am using VHDL.
How do I find out if I am using VHDL 2008 or a previous version?

That would be your coding style - there are new features to the language that you need to include in your code. Doulos has a great guide to the new 2008 features: https://www.doulos.com/knowhow/vhdl_designers_guide/vhdl_2008/
You then need a simulator that supports them, and I doubt the ISE simulator does. You would need a full featured simulator like modelsim.

ISE doesn't support even 1076-2002, let alone 2008.

I think it supports VHDL '93 and Verilog 2001. :p

Good reason to consider Altera if you can't get Modelsim/Aldec/Incisive/VCS/etc

regards

If you wanted modelsim, you can download the free version of modelsim from altera. Its a fairly recent version with VHDL 2008 support. You can easily map in all the xilinx libraries and use it as your simulator.

I have used modelsim before. I was able to probe the signals.
But same feature is not available in ISE sim.

In my testbench, I am writing data to one of the registers in the UUT.
The UUT is a SPI slave.
How do I check if the data is being written to that register using assert.
The testbench generates only SPI signals.

I can see in the simulation that data is being written to that register, but how do I check using assert.
I am using ISE 13.6 for simulation.

- If the register can be read back, then read it back and add the assertion there.
- If writing to the register causes some other top level signals to change to a known state, then you can check for the proper response. For example, if writing to register X with value Y should cause the top level signals XYZ(3:0) on the UUT to go to '1001', then after you complete the SPI write, you would assert that signal XYZ is indeed '1001'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back