Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Complementary PWM uses

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashugtiwari

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,
there are some micro-controllers with COG or complementary output generator to create a complementary PWM signals. I do understand how to create them and etc but do not know whats their use in real life applications and use of dead bands etc. I may sound like a newbie but after searching on google i could only find that these type of PWM waveforms used in motor control but no specific example i.e. which motor, what type etc. Can someone plz tell me?

Thanks for answers
Ashutosh

One use is in power supplies... push-pull comes to mind - centre tapped primary winding, you alternativly switch two FETs on either end. You need the dead band to prevent both FETs being momotarily on (they take a finite time to switch off. need to drive the top FET.

yup, that sounds a good example for use of complementary PWM :) thanks thunderdantheman
Lets see more applications of the same

They are also used in motor drives. Here is a snip from the LT1158 datasheet:

Capture1.PNG

One approach yo might consider is to look up a few datasheets for such drives. Those datasheets will give yo the applications.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.