+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1. #1
    Full Member level 5
    Points: 7,218, Level: 20

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    267
    Helped
    14 / 14
    Points
    7,218
    Level
    20

    SS, TT, FF corner

    Can anyone explain what are the main differences between the three corners (SS,TT and FF) and why the worst case is SS with 0.9Vdd @ 130C and best case is FF with 1.1 Vdd @ -30C.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Advanced Member level 2
    Points: 5,357, Level: 17
    Fom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    633
    Helped
    84 / 84
    Points
    5,357
    Level
    17

    Re: SS, TT, FF corner

    Best case means higher speed. Delay of CMOS gates became smaller speed higher. The same behavior of CMOS gates can cause:

    Higher VCC
    Lower temperature
    Lower threshold voltages of NMOS and PMOS transistors.

    So that's why the best case is HIGH VCC, LOW TEMPERATURE and LOW PMOS/NMOS threshold voltage (FF). And worst case is just vice versa.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  3. #3
    Full Member level 4
    Points: 2,234, Level: 10

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    230
    Helped
    10 / 10
    Points
    2,234
    Level
    10

    Re: SS, TT, FF corner

    the electronic's speed



    •   AltAdvertisment

        
       

  4. #4
    Advanced Member level 1
    Points: 4,719, Level: 16

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    461
    Helped
    102 / 102
    Points
    4,719
    Level
    16

    Re: SS, TT, FF corner

    Corners are usualy calculated as +/- 3 sigma values of Typical. What you indicate are simulation conditions not the SS/TT/FF spice model corners.



  5. #5
    Member level 2
    Points: 1,655, Level: 9

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    42
    Helped
    0 / 0
    Points
    1,655
    Level
    9

    Re: SS, TT, FF corner

    SS: NMOS slow, PMOS slow
    FF: NMOS fast, PMOS fast
    TT: NMOS typical, PMOS typical



  6. #6
    Member level 3
    Points: 1,951, Level: 10

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    54
    Helped
    3 / 3
    Points
    1,951
    Level
    10

    Re: SS, TT, FF corner

    This is not always ture. Sometimes the worst case happens at fast NMOS, slow PMOS, and so on.

    Quote Originally Posted by ccw27
    Can anyone explain what are the main differences between the three corners (SS,TT and FF) and why the worst case is SS with 0.9Vdd @ 130C and best case is FF with 1.1 Vdd @ -30C.

    Thanks



  7. #7
    Member level 5
    Points: 1,853, Level: 10

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    90
    Helped
    8 / 8
    Points
    1,853
    Level
    10

    Re: SS, TT, FF corner

    Process corner simulation:
    Generally,ff is the worst corner for ADC and VCO.
    ss becomes worst in some cases such as logic circuits.



  8. #8
    Full Member level 3
    Points: 3,058, Level: 13

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    182
    Helped
    9 / 9
    Points
    3,058
    Level
    13

    Re: SS, TT, FF corner

    variation in channel length



  9. #9
    Full Member level 6
    Points: 5,226, Level: 17

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    China
    Posts
    359
    Helped
    16 / 16
    Points
    5,226
    Level
    17

    Re: SS, TT, FF corner

    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy
    Corners are usualy calculated as +/- 3 sigma values of Typical. What you indicate are simulation conditions not the SS/TT/FF spice model corners.
    Actually, many fabs use +/-4sigmas AT LEAST, in their min/max parameters.



  10. #10
    Full Member level 2
    Points: 3,152, Level: 13

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    137
    Helped
    6 / 6
    Points
    3,152
    Level
    13

    Re: SS, TT, FF corner

    Quote Originally Posted by lakeoffire
    This is not always ture. Sometimes the worst case happens at fast NMOS, slow PMOS, and so on.

    Quote Originally Posted by ccw27
    Can anyone explain what are the main differences between the three corners (SS,TT and FF) and why the worst case is SS with 0.9Vdd @ 130C and best case is FF with 1.1 Vdd @ -30C.

    Thanks
    You probably should do all these corner simulations first and only after that you can decide which is the worst case for your particular application. Could be any parameter from power consumption, low speed, gain etc.



    •   AltAdvertisment

        
       

  11. #11
    Member level 2
    Points: 1,699, Level: 9

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    44
    Helped
    5 / 5
    Points
    1,699
    Level
    9

    Re: SS, TT, FF corner

    Quote Originally Posted by cretu
    Quote Originally Posted by lakeoffire
    This is not always ture. Sometimes the worst case happens at fast NMOS, slow PMOS, and so on.

    Quote Originally Posted by ccw27
    Can anyone explain what are the main differences between the three corners (SS,TT and FF) and why the worst case is SS with 0.9Vdd @ 130C and best case is FF with 1.1 Vdd @ -30C.

    Thanks
    You probably should do all these corner simulations first and only after that you can decide which is the worst case for your particular application. Could be any parameter from power consumption, low speed, gain etc.
    If you consider all the permutations you can have - that's a lot of corners! And yes, there are a lot of other parameters to worry about. Now you know why analog design takes so long....



  12. #12
    Full Member level 5
    Points: 7,218, Level: 20

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    267
    Helped
    14 / 14
    Points
    7,218
    Level
    20

    Re: SS, TT, FF corner

    For resistor variation (min, typ, max), do you typically associate ss corner with max and ff with min or do you simulate with all possible permutation?

    Thanks



  13. #13
    Full Member level 1
    Points: 2,108, Level: 10

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    India
    Posts
    101
    Helped
    10 / 10
    Points
    2,108
    Level
    10

    Re: SS, TT, FF corner

    The whole point of simulating something at SS is to see worst case delay.
    But in case the circuits or design has some race condition then in that case worst case delay can also be visible by the cross-corner analysis.

    Regarding sigma point can anybody explain which sigma(current, threshold voltage etc) actually we are talking about ?



  14. #14
    jiangwp
    Guest

    Re: SS, TT, FF corner

    The nature of semiconductor material is so.
    You can refer to the semiconductor device physical.



  15. #15
    Full Member level 1
    Points: 2,029, Level: 10

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    104
    Helped
    18 / 18
    Points
    2,029
    Level
    10

    Re: SS, TT, FF corner

    The head room plays a part in what the worst case combinations is, although it's always at low VCC.



  16. #16
    Junior Member level 3
    Points: 2,318, Level: 11
    cirand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    China
    Posts
    26
    Helped
    1 / 1
    Points
    2,318
    Level
    11

    SS, TT, FF corner

    hi, zmliu, could you explain why ff is the worst corner for ADC and VCO?



  17. #17
    Full Member level 3
    Points: 2,652, Level: 12

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    176
    Helped
    19 / 19
    Points
    2,652
    Level
    12

    Re: SS, TT, FF corner

    Worst Case corners in the foundry side is just referred to several extreme cases of the various process parameters (e.g. ff, ss of MOSFET). All ff, ss, sf, fs are called worst cast corners in the MOSFET.

    However in the user and designer sense worst case corner is referred to the combinations of corners that leads to the most worst case performance situation, and depends on what performance the user is interested to, the same corner combination can be best case or worst case.

    For example, ff corners in the mosfet can be the best case corner in terms of speed (e.g. GBW) specification, but also can be the worst case corners in terms of stability (e.g. phase margin) spec. Hope this help.



  18. #18
    Advanced Member level 1
    Points: 4,488, Level: 15

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    469
    Helped
    73 / 73
    Points
    4,488
    Level
    15

    Re: SS, TT, FF corner

    Most importantly, the corners of a process are designated by five parameters

    1. Mobility variation due to implantation of N+ and P+
    2. Vth variation
    3. Resistance of the actives
    4. Body coefficient
    5. Oxide thickness

    Other parameters like the effective Length, effective width, Cjsw caps, Cj caps also change. Hence Slow Slow, Fast Fast corners come into picture



    •   AltAdvertisment

        
       

  19. #19
    Full Member level 2
    Points: 3,152, Level: 13

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    137
    Helped
    6 / 6
    Points
    3,152
    Level
    13

    Re: SS, TT, FF corner

    Quote Originally Posted by Vamsi Mocherla
    Most importantly, the corners of a process are designated by five parameters

    1. Mobility variation due to implantation of N+ and P+
    2. Vth variation
    3. Resistance of the actives
    4. Body coefficient
    5. Oxide thickness

    Other parameters like the effective Length, effective width, Cjsw caps, Cj caps also change. Hence Slow Slow, Fast Fast corners come into picture
    This is true. For a design one or maybe a couple of these possible combinations is actually "The" worst corner/situation. Depends on the application and it's recomended to check everything to be on the safe side(if the design ends up with a real product)



  20. #20
    Member level 5
    Points: 1,949, Level: 10

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    91
    Helped
    7 / 7
    Points
    1,949
    Level
    10

    Re: SS, TT, FF corner

    Weak nmos,Weak Pmos and high temperature worst corner in terms of speed (Vt is more ,currents are less ,drive is less ,very high temp mobility degrades ).

    Fast nmos,Fast pmos and low temp is the best corner



--[[ ]]--