Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how does the data rate of a signal affects the traversal over a relay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sachinkp21587

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i am using a relay with part number RA4-12W-K. i want to use it to make a ethernet switch using this relay. i do not know upto how much speed it will support. can anybody please guide me what factors are to be considered for high data rate support like 400Mbps ? how will a relay be affecting the signal traversal if the data rate changes towards very high to very low.
when i just had a look into the datasheet it showed no parameter saying supported data rate or something.

Regards,
Sachin

when i just had a look into the datasheet it showed no parameter saying supported data rate or something.
Not quite right. The datasheet shows insertion loss and isolation for frequencies up to 50 MHz, (measured with 75 ohm transmision line impedance, apparently related to video applications).

In other words, the relay isn't intended for operation at 400 Mbps (200 MHz signal frequency). It may still work based on the ruggedness of the ethernet physical layer, but hardly comply with the signal quality specifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back