Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PWM Fan Control (15V, 15A) with Power MOSFET + Optocoupler

Status
Not open for further replies.

shsn

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I recently replaced a radiator fan on my car and the rating on the fan says 12V (10-15V max) and 6.5A continuous (15A peak). There is an ECU that can output PWM with varying duty cycle (5-20kHz) with up to 5A max. But I would like to implement an optocoupler to protect the output pin of the ECU. I have chosen IRF2804S-7P as it seem to have enough current handling capabilities with low Rds. But the Vgs(th) on datasheet says 2V min and 4V max. Does it mean I need a some sort of voltage regulator to drop battery's 12V to around 3V to fully turn on the FET?

Also is there an appropriate optocoupler that I could use?

Thank you.
Erik.

Vgs is gate voltage to turn on the device. The V(BR)DSS is a min of 40V, so need to limit the supply voltage.

Hi, thank you for a reply. I assumed V(BR)DSS is the maximum voltage between drain and source before MOSFET fails. So supplying 9-15V to drain of IRF2804 would be ok? With gate voltage, I would need a device to have PWM voltage between 2 and 4V to meet the specification.

Status
Not open for further replies.