Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the potential of an Analog IC? (size/space)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TuAtAu

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am researching a design architecture and ultimately will integrated it into a chip.

If I need to use op amp for my design,how much op amp would able to integrate in a typical practical IC?
(PS: I need 20+ comparators in my design.)

Any advice?

Thank you :)

Your question is a bit unspecific since it strongly depends on the available die size, technology and metal stack. There is no typical IC since all of them are very purpose specific. You should also ask yourself how many pins you will need since that is also important factor in how small the die can be. Keeping that in mind 20+ comparators probably don't pose any problems.

Compare possible technologies and do the following for all of them:
- What supply voltages will be used ? -> affects the possible technologies
- Which metal stack to use? (how many metal layers for routing)
- Try to do an area estimate of your comparator
- Figure out how many pins the chip will require and what package you will use
- Do an area estimate of the padring and see if the area fits into the package and the comparators into the padring
- Analog only or mixed signal?
- How much can it cost?
(this list is not complete!)

It is not a simple process in finding the correct answer to your question and without knowing all the specification that you require it is next to impossible.
Good luck!

Reactions: TuAtAu

TuAtAu

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back