Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ultrasonic automated door

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Slumpff

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm building an automated pet door for my senior project. I need a sensor system for the door to open when the pet gets close to the door. I was thinking about using and ultrasonic transmitter attached to the door which sends a signal out and gets received and transmitted by the dogs collar, which is then received by the sensor on the door. Would this work, and is this the best way to do this?

Why does the door need to transmit a signal to the dog?
The transmitter on the dog transmits a weak signal for one second every 10 seconds so that the battery can be small.
When the dog gets close enough to the door for the receiver at the door to receive the signal then the door opens.

Ultrasonic transducers are very directional. You might not be able to teach the dog to point the transmitter directly at the receiver.
Wind, heavy rain or hail sounds might trigger the receiver unless the signal is modulated.

I hope you have figured out a way to close the door after your pet has gone in.
Frank
The door closes on the raccoon who is following the dog.
Or, the door closes on the dog's tail then the dog cries and the owner rescues the dog.

Do you know ultrasonic dog repellers? The dog may never get closer to the door :) Be aware the frequencies disturbing the dogs. Ultrasound may not be appropriate for this application.

Most ultrasonic transducers are 40kHz. Dogs cannot hear frequencies that high, maybe 30kHz is the highest.

Child monitors use a radio signal. When the child wanders too far away in a store then the monitor receiver makes a sound.
Reverse it. When the dog gets close to the door then the monitor receiver opens the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back