Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Geiger counter tube characteristics: please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

meshgate

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I found a geiger tube ( cilinder 130 mm x 20 mm diameter) about.

With the following label:

Type: X.A.1
s/n: 88151
op. volts: 1450

Window weight 7. mgm/cm^2

Made in England by DISTRON

Anybody can give me more details?

DISTRON website is not dealing with components, only instrumentation.

Try contacting them expressing your interests.

Sometimes you can get lucky!
**broken link removed**

1450 op. volts almost certainly refers to the DC voltage you will apply to the center wire. (Most schematics on the internet depict a lower power supply level, between 500 and 1000 V. I don't know whether this means your tube is more or less sensitive than the norm.)

The window weight probably has to do with a curved panel which slides around the tube, to cover and uncover an area which adjusts sensitivity to certain types of rays.

window weight is usually an indication of how thick the window on the tube is (and hence what will stand a chance of getting through it to be detected), heavy windows will tend to make the tube insensitive to beta and low energy alpha while having little effect on hard gamma and the like, while a thin window will allow detection of alpha and beta).

Lightweight thin windows tend however to be very delicate.

One thing to note with GM tubes is that the sensitivity is **strongly** voltage dependent as they cascade if the free electrons aquire too much energy.

GM tubes are fun.

Regards, Dan.

Status
Not open for further replies.