Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to count rpm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qasim Khokhar

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
is there any module for this purpose kindly help me i am not an electrical engineer.

Thanku

Re: How can i count RPM ?

Can you give us more information? RPM of what? How accurate? What is your budget?

If you mean to find the alternator or Induction Motor rotation speed in RPM...then use the following formula.
Ns = (120 xf) / P
Where
Ns = Synchronous Speed in RPM
f = AC Frequency..may be 60 or 50 Hz
P = Number of Poles.
Thanks

Use a tachometer, it is easily available in the market

i want to make it with 8051 so kindly guide me ...

If you mean to find the alternator or Induction Motor rotation speed in RPM...then use the following formula.
Ns = (120 xf) / P
Where
Ns = Synchronous Speed in RPM
f = AC Frequency..may be 60 or 50 Hz
P = Number of Poles.
Thanks

dear brother
your question isn't clear, of which thing you want to count RPM,

e.g RPM of motor, engine, generator. etc

ANY object? A bicycle wheel is quite different from a jet turbine which is quite different from dentist's drill. If you have a specific thing in mind, tell us. There is no universal answer.

Ohhh yapp :roll: rotation of bicycle wheel

ANY object? A bicycle wheel is quite different from a jet turbine which is quite different from dentist's drill. If you have a specific thing in mind, tell us. There is no universal answer.

Ohhh yapp :roll: rotation of bicycle wheel
The easiest way to do that is to buy a magnetic sensor that is used by commercial bike computers. It is a reed switch that closes every time a magnet on the spokes passes by. Use the reed switch to make a logic signal that pulses every time the switch closes. Connect those pulses to the 8051 and meausure the time in microseconds between pulses using an input capture peripheral. From that it is easy to calculate the RPM.

As Tunelabguy said before, you can also use a Hall Efect sensor, of course you must have a magnet on some place of the wheel, there are many types of Hall Efect sensors, for your application would be better to use one with Digital output. Search internet for Hall Efect Sensors. Yosmany325.

As Tunelabguy said before, you can also use a Hall Efect sensor, of course you must have a magnet on some place of the wheel, there are many types of Hall Efect sensors, for your application would be better to use one with Digital output. Search internet for Hall Efect Sensors. Yosmany325.
Magnetic reed switches are cheaper than hall-effect sensors, and don't require any power. That's why they are always used on commercial bike speedometers.

use a strobo scope , the chinease one is about 200$ , it can detect speeds from zero rpm to 10000rpm

this device emits light on and off in a very fast way , you vary the nob until you see the motor shaft (appears to be)not moving , and you read the rpm from the device.

very easy to use and accurate , and u can builld ur own ( i have seen similar projects by arduino)

As Tunelabguy said reed switches are best cheapest and simplest solution .

Status
Not open for further replies.