Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Find capacitive loading on inverters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor66

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm unsure about a question in my lab homework which the book doesn't seem to address. Maybe I'm missing something simple.

The question is about a ring oscillator produced by connecting 5 of the inverters on a 74HC04 in series without a load. Vcc is 2V and the measured output frequency is 5 MHz.

The question is: What is the capacitive loading on each inverter in the chain?

I understand that there should be a bit of capacitive loading because of the wires and because the MOSFET gates are capacitive. I'm not really sure where to go from here though--I don't expect anyone to solve the problem for me but I'd love some advice on how to proceed with the problem.

Start by calculating the phase delay through each inverter. Convert that phase in degrees to a delay to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.