Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

cadence virtuoso simulator, differences between these two product

Status
Not open for further replies.

tR|GG3rX

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,

i want to know the differences between these two product lines? both have its own simulator and schematic capture. but virtuoso have ic layout features. others?

Cadence Orcad & Cadence Virtuoso

Virtuoso has advantage on high-frequency simulations. Orcad has limited frequency range.

Reactions: tarikelec

tR|GG3rX

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

tarikelec

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Virtuoso is Cadence origin with Spectre as a simulation tool runnig in *nix platform only, while Orcad is based on Pspice engine working on Windows machine. Cadence just acquired it to make market on all computer platforms. They just put some decorations into it to make it look more like cadence product, but nothing changed much inside. For typical work, Orcad can do as best as other SPICE-like program, which lack of high frequency feature and integrated IC layout tool.

Re: Cadence Orcad & Cadence Virtuoso

They are actually completely different tools, one of them is aimed at PCB design and layout (OrCAD), it has a PSPICE based spice simulator that is geared to board simulations. Cadence Virtuoso is an IC layout tool only. It does not contain a simulator (that's Specter or Analog Artist). Comparing the above two tools is like comparing apples and oranges.

Added after 2 minutes:

They are actually completely different tools, one of them is aimed at PCB design and layout (OrCAD), it has a PSPICE based spice simulator that is geared to board simulations. Cadence Virtuoso is an IC layout tool only. It does not contain a simulator (that's Specter or Analog Artist). Comparing the above two tools is like comparing apples and oranges.

You are not correct, eternal_nan. Virtouso does not just mean for only layout editor. It is named for platform to do full custom IC design and is divided into e.g. Virtuoso Analog Design Environment, Virtuoso Layout Editor, Virtuoso Schematic Editor, Virtuoso Spectre Circuit Simulator etc.

Moreover, OrCAD is not limited to only PCB design. You may used OrCAD together with L-Edit as effective tool for IC design too.

imho, Virtuoso is also more accurate than Orcad.

L-Edit comes with Orcad or a third-party add-on tool?

Absolutely, I think so. But their costs are far different and this is the point. Not much companies/universities and no individual person can purchase Virtuoso, while OrCAD is a lot cheaper.

L-EDIT is trademark of Tanner tool, you have to buy it separately.

Loads of confusion

i am giving in the order of company and then tools

Tanner IC tools (available on windows and linux)
SEDIT-schematic editor
LEDIT-Layout ediror
TSPICE-spice simulatotor for schematics and post layout stuff)

Cadence PCB Tools
in windows
Capture CIS-schematic editor can simulate Bsim mos models so if u want to check some concepts u can do it but no layout for ics
Layout plus&and allegro are its PCB tools

in linux
Virtuoso -Schematic and iclayout
spectre -spice simulator (one of the best simulator the planet has)

how do I display the the names of the nets that I have created in cadence on the schematic?
I want to use those nets for OCEAN scripting.

Hello,
You are wrong eternal_nan.Virtouso does not just mean for only layout editor. It is named for platform to do full custom IC design and is divided into e.g. Virtuoso Analog Design Environment, Virtuoso Layout Editor, Virtuoso Schematic Editor, Virtuoso Spectre Circuit Simulator etc. .
Ali.

Please Tell me can i run Cadence Virrtuoso in windows environment??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back