Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mosfet driver causing mosfet to heat up

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnjoejohn

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Anyone use the LT1158CN mosfet bridge driver?? I tried wiring up the same as the example they have and use a small brushed dc motor as load and BOTH of my mosfet gets hot...but the motor runs. The bottom shouldn't get hot because I am only driving the top. The datasheet also said the input pin low turns on bottom and high turns on top but i cannot tell the difference, seems like both are on because both are hot..I double check connection and it looks right..according to their example.

The mosfet I used are beefy, 50A continuous and the dc motor only draws less than 1 amp. Reason for 50A is that I am actually planning on driving bigger motors but now just using the small dc motor for bench testing.

Do you use a good heat sink? Did you check the gate voltage to be in line with specifications?

Driving a "beefy"MOSFET means that gate voltage must open its channel. If open, the channel resistance drops to ~10 milliOhms, this is why MOSFETs are preferred as current switches. If not open properly, the channel keeps a higher resistane and its dissipation makes MOSFET hot.

Do you use a protective diode across the channel? A brushed DC motor can kill the MOSFET due to voltage spikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back