Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Data recovery from formatted partition (d drive is formatted while new windows ins)

Status
Not open for further replies.

irfan ahmad

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i have made a serious mistake
i was going to install new windows xp in c drive.
by mistake that is not installed in c drive.
it is installed in d drive .
while installing new windows i have formated drive with QUICK option.
no my computer have two windows
1 in c

2nd in d
is it possible to recover formatted data from D drive.
i will be very thankfull if someone will help me

You can recover data that was not overwritten during the XP installation.

When you format by the 'Quick' option, it resets the disk mapping table (a small area of the disk). It leaves your data untouched.

Do not do anything that will write to the D drive. Boot the computer from the C drive.

You can use a disk recovery utility to search the disk. Many such utilities are available online for download.

It may locate some of your files. (This function might be available at no cost).

If they are recoverable then it can extract them. (Expect to pay money for this function).

To find out which recovery utility will work best for you, a good website to look at is 'Top Ten Reviews'.

thanks for replying.
i have tried
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard 6.0
Recuva
card recovery
iCare Data Recovery Professional
and restore option.
but every software recovers most known data . like pdf rar and doc.
i am so confused .

Is your data unknown then?

IT will present you with a list of files and you get to choose which to restore.

Just dont do anything silly to the drive, like format it again etc. as your data is still there.

i have not installed there any thing other or any further action in my d drive.

i have my proteus pcb designs and source codes in c language.
many all softwares shows many files with extension of .SWF

now what is your suggestion ?

The SWF extension stands for Shockwave Flash (video). Videos are generally many MB in length. If one is fragmented on the disk, you may not recover all of it, and it may be impossible to play.

Some recovery utilities may be versatile enough, so that you can choose which type of files to ignore, or else which type to extract.

Also you probably want to command the utility to search only free disk space. You might as well ignore the Windows XP installation. You do not want to search through 2.5 GB of Windows files.

You can try a simple tool named : getdataback
Which has 2 different versions for fat and ntfs file systems . Gud luck

Status
Not open for further replies.