Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] transconductance measuring in the OTA simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

an_82

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How can I measure transconductance (gm) of a OTA ? or how may I draw transconductance of OTA in terms of input voltage variation?
I want to divide the input voltage difference signal by output current, but it doesn't allow because when vin=0, the gm is infinite !!

How can I measure transconductance (gm) of a OTA ? or how may I draw transconductance of OTA in terms of input voltage variation?
I want to divide the input voltage difference signal by output current, but it doesn't allow because when vin=0, the gm is infinite !!

The OTA transconductance should NOT vary with the input voltage (within the normal operating range). It is a property of the amplifier that can be determined by the quiescent dc current.
What do you expect by dividing the input by the output? I suppose, you mean the output-to-input ratio. For vin=0 the output should also be zero. Transconductance never can be "infinite" (it is a fixed value, see above).

Reactions: an_82

an_82

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Dear LvW,
I want to draw the "gm" of the OTA circuit, since gm=Iout/(vin+ - vin-). Is it right ? If not, pls explain how I can draw the transcendence? In fact I want to demonstrate the linearity of the designed OTA by showing the gm curve.

The OTA transconductance should NOT vary with the input voltage (within the normal operating range). It is a property of the amplifier that can be determined by the quiescent dc current.
What do you expect by dividing the input by the output? I suppose, you mean the output-to-input ratio. For vin=0 the output should also be zero. Transconductance never can be "infinite" (it is a fixed value, see above).

gm is usually understood as a small signal quantity respectively slope of the transfer characteristic, gm = dIout/dVin.

You can either plot the transfer characteristic Iout versus Vin or it's derivative gm versus Vin. You can run a .DC analysis, shorting the output node to mid supply.

Reactions: megaic

megaic

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back