Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] how to control this dimmer with arduino

Status
Not open for further replies.

aliyesami

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am building a LED panel for my aquarium and need to control the dimmer which requires the following criteria :

Power ON with dimming: DIM ~ -Vin >2.5 ~ 6VDC or open circuit
Power OFF : DIM ~ -Vin < 0.8VDC or short
100 ~ 1KHz
1mA at PWM dimming OFF and 24VDC input

can someone guide me on where to start in order to design this using Arduino ?

thanks

hi Embpic Iam looking for an Arduino solution to this.

yes this is interface circuit to any controller and you can interface with Arduino also.
and you have to implement PWM in your controller which will help you to adjust the voltage.

yes this is interface circuit to any controller and you can interface with Arduino also.
and you have to implement PWM in your controller which will help you to adjust the voltage.

this post is talking about higher voltages , I need to do PWM for voltage range 2.5 ~ 6v.
also I am not understand the general principal how it all works so can you briefly explain please?

ok sorry i thought you want control hight voltage from input of 2.5 ~ 6v.

you can achive this by using simple transistor also but PWM is necessory.

I saw this PWM arduino code on you tube which the guy was using to dim an led , I need exactly the same but I am confused as what frequency its generating , my requirement are for 100 ~ 1Khz
if I can get the freq right for the code below it will work for me , can you help ?

Code C - [expand]
void setup()
{
 pinMode(3,OUTPUT);
}

void loop()
{
  for(int i =0;i < 100;i++)
  {
    analogWrite(3,i);
    delay(50);
  }
  for(int i = 100;i > 0;i--)
  {
    analogWrite(3,i);
    delay(50);
  }
}

Last edited by a moderator:

Capture.PNG

you have to adjust the value of resisitor as per requirements
i don't use arduino but can help by concept wise.

Thanks !
so lets talk about the hardware first, The pin3 of arduino (which is the PWM pin) goes to the dimmer control on LED driver .
and the arduino code drives the pin3.
so which resistor value you are mentioning that I need to adjust?

what is voltage of pin of controller.?
3.3 or 5V

for 3.3V u can use 3k3 resistor and 5v u can use 4k7.

and collector resistor u can adjust as per brightness of led at which point.

Last edited:

what is voltage of pin of controller.?
3.3 or 5V

for 3.3V u can use 3k3 resistor and 5v u can use 4k7.

and collector resistor u can adjust as per brightness of led at which point.

the output voltage of pin3 is 5v.
let me take one step back and try to interpret the dimmer PWM requirements
when it says
Power ON with dimming: DIM ~ -Vin >2.5 ~ 6VDC or open circuit
Power OFF : DIM ~ -Vin < 0.8VDC or short
100 ~ 1KHz
1mA at PWM dimming OFF and 24VDC input

what does the 2.5 ~ 6VDc means? that the input signal can be from 2.5V to 6.5V dc and the frequency determines the dimming voltage?
also 100~ 1Khz means the input signal could be any thing in that range?

now when you are talking about resistors I am not sure where you want to put them so can you please tell me the circuit you have in mind ?
how would I interface the arduino pin 3 to Dimmer ?

- - - Updated - - -

ok I looked at the driver specs and it says its the frequency range and the voltage has to be between 0 and 5V , so basically I have to generate a 0 -5v signal with 1Khz frequency and vary the duty cycle to achieve the dimming .
I am not sure though if I would connect the ground of the dimming input to the arduino ground ?

ok as given you range is 2.5v to 6v then when you give PWM as FULL off that is 100% off then output should be 2.5V. Is it right?
and at 100 % ON it should be 6V. in between voltage will get vary between 2.5 to 6V.

and freq. you given this is freq of PWM.

no full power means voltage is 5v and zero power means voltage is 0 volts . the tech spec of this meanwell LDD 700h driver is showing PMW signal as a 0-5V signal with varying pulse width. I don't know why in the same doc above they refer the PWM vin as 2.5 ~ 6v.
but in either case I want to know how to generate this signal via arduino.

will you upload the pdf of led driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back