Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to satisfy ohm law in power transformer using nameplate? Ohm's Law justification

Status
Not open for further replies.

tipu_sultan

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Rawalpindi, Punjab, Pakistan, Asia, Earth, Univers
Activity points
Suppose there is a power step-down transformer of ratings. [Name-Plate Attached].

Transformer_Number_Plate..jpg

100KVA

HV Side specifications:-

volts-> 11KV
current-> 5.25

LV Side specifications:-
volts-> 0.415KV
current-> 139.1

P=VI

p=11x10^3 * 5.25 = 57750

P=0.415x10^3 * 139.1 = 57726

Can any one help me about calculation? I believes that power should be 100KVA as mentioned in the transformer's nameplate?

Another Question (Power is same):-

If a man accidentally contacts with the transformer either LV side or HV side which one is dangerous?

I want to say that high current is harmful or high voltage is harmful?

From which side man get more shock (LV or HV) as power is same on both sides?

Consider another case (My Confusion):-

The overhead cables have the high voltage but little current it is dangerous and may cause Arc Flash. I believe that if a man contact with them (if path completes) he dies due to high voltage.

We can limit the current by using RCD, MCB etc

If we limit the current of very high voltage say 33KV to 3A then my question is that if someone contact with them he gets shock or not?

How to justify the LV and HV side of transformer by ANALOGY OF ELECTRICITY (Flow of Water in Garden Hose) figure attached?

Electricity Analogy.jpg

Say from HV Side

cable used is -> 3Cx300mm2

From LV Side

cable use is -> 3Cx300mm2

Both LV and HV have the same cable used so that means have the same resistance but the voltage & current of either side of Voltages is different.

How to justify it.

Same pipe area water pressure is high and water flow is slow etc.....

Last edited:

What Ohm's law?

P=VI
p=11x10^3 * 5.25 = 57750

Can any one help me about calculation? I believes that power should be 100KVA as mentioned in the transformer's nameplate?

That's a three-phase transformer.
If you have the line to line voltage and the phase current the power will be:
P = √3*Vl*Ip = 1.73*11x10^3*5.25 = 100kVA​

If a man accidentally contacts with the transformer either LV side or HV side which one is dangerous?
I want to say that high current is harmful or high voltage is harmful?

From HV side.

The overhead cables have the high voltage but little current it is dangerous and may cause Arc Flash. I believe that if a man contact with them (if path completes) he dies due to high voltage.
If we limit the current of very high voltage say 33KV to 3A then my question is that if someone contact with them he gets shock or not?

With 3A your eyes will blow.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/shock.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_shock

How to justify the LV and HV side of transformer by ANALOGY OF ELECTRICITY(Flow of Water in Garden Hose) figure attached?
? ? ? A pressuse booster may be an analogy of transformer, not a garden hose.

Say from HV Side
cable used is -> 3Cx300mm2

From LV Side
cable use is -> 3Cx300mm2

Both LV and HV have the same cable used so that means have the same resistance but the voltage & current of either side of Voltages is different.

How to justify it.

You are trying to establish a relation between the pig and the speed of light.

Suppose there is a power step-down transformer of ratings.

100KVA

HV Side specifications:-

volts-> 11KV
current-> 5.25

LV Side specifications:-
volts-> 0.415KV
current-> 139.1

P=VI

p=11x10^3 * 5.25 = 57750

Maybe the current and voltage ratings are for each phase, but 100KW is the total.

Another Question (Power is same):-

Both are dangerous, but HV is worse. Touching the LV may elecrocute and kill you. Touching the HV will kill you and burn or cook your body.

Ohms law: I=V/R
So the higher voltage will cause more current to flow through the resistance of your body.

Less than 100mA is enough to Kill you.

Dear,

I m satisfied your answer about the Power transformer's name-plate. But i have a still confusion about the LV and HV.

Current is the flow of electron.
Voltage is actually the force which push electrons and tends them to move depends upon the magnitude of force.
Resistance is the hindrance which depends upon the wire area and length.

By considering above definitions we came across the scenario.

HV side of transformer have a very low current and very high voltage and the opposite is applicable for LV.

By Ohm Law we know

I=V/R

If there is little resistance (say R approaches to zero) then there will be infinite current.
The above example is true if a person is in-contact with the wires.

Consider in general that we have voltage from the fixed source is 220V and little current 2A (Power->0.44KVA), the current & voltage is fixed (Limited) means current will not exceed from 2A.

when we step it down to 10V then the current will become 44A (Power 440V).

According to me (correct me if i m wrong) how matter how the magnitude (Say 1000A) of current is but there is little voltage (say 2V) it is not dangerous.

But if the magnitude is voltage is high but current is very small say approaches to zero it is dangerous.

I will be very thankful to you if you clear my confusion.

Nameplates convey ratings.

Not all ratings can be supported simultaneously in all
cases.

Until you understand the basis of them there's no point
in electrical lawyering, Ohm's or otherwise.

You seem not to understand the nature of the human
body as load, in the context of electrocution. You make
handwaving assumptions about this and it confuses
your argument. Such as the stuff about 2V and 1000A.
Not gonna happen, so why try to prove some point
with such speculation?

Status
Not open for further replies.