Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IRF 9540 pmos with 2n2222

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aamir_Sheikh

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i am trying to use a 2n2222 to amplify the signal from the mc to switch irf 9540 pmos, however if i increase the switching frequency from more than 1 khz, it takes more time for 2n2222 reach its peak, and consequently pmos switching is delayed.

if i remove irf 9540 from the collector of 2n2222, it works fine, even at higher frequencies(~20khz)

Capture.PNG

what should i do?

That is not a good way of driving a MOSFET. Firstly you are exceeding the maximum gate voltage which is 20V but more importantly you are simply relying on a 3.3k resistor to turn the MOSFET on. With 1300pF of gate capacitance that will be slow. You need a circuit which charges the gate capacitance quickly as well as discharges it quickly. That will need either a proper driver IC or two drive transistors to make a push-pull driver.

Keith

That is not a good way of driving a MOSFET. Firstly you are exceeding the maximum gate voltage which is 20V but more importantly you are simply relying on a 3.3k resistor to turn the MOSFET on. With 1300pF of gate capacitance that will be slow. You need a circuit which charges the gate capacitance quickly as well as discharges it quickly. That will need either a proper driver IC or two drive transistors to make a push-pull driver.

Keith

i think you are right, when i analyzed the wave forms through an oscilloscope, the output of collector takes a long time to reach 24, and that causes the delayed switching.
and for exceeding Vgs, what should i do? i have to operate with the given parameters.

Status
Not open for further replies.