Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Non-solid state relay - For AC Only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The-Kevster

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'm looking for a relay that's as small as possible that can handle 3A @ 30VDC. I would like to use a TE Connectivity V23092A1905A302 but it only lists as being capable of switching 250VAC @ 6A.

**broken link removed**

I'm new to electronics but in the software world that would just mean they haven't tested it with DC current. I know a solid state relay can only handle AC current (this has bit me already) but I see no reason why this couldn't operate DC current?

Thanks for any advice,
Kev

When relay contacts break, there is an arc, with AC, the arc is killed by the voltage decreasing or going to zero. With DC this does not take place, the arc is extinguished when the contacts have opened more. It is usual to say that the current rating at 12 V DC is the same as the current rating at 230 V AC, though I cannot say how accurate this statement is. So is 30V @3A equivalent to 12 V @ 3A or 6A ?, looks close but is it going to be reliable.
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back