Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Buck boost design helps for the bidirectional battery charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepakchikane

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

can anyone help me build a Buck-Boost converter.

application: Bidirectional Battery charger.

any articles.. idea will be appreciated.

1)12v dc-72v dc (Boost mode)

2)72v dc to 12 v dc (Buck mode)

What can be the control logic..??

I think the question is misleading. You are not actually looking for a buck-boost converter. What you need is a simple synchronous switcher (two switches + one inductor) that is controlled for bidirectional operation. Buck in one direction, boost in the other.

Unfortunately I'm not aware of a switch controller IC supporting bidirectional operation (Some might exist though). You can design your own analog controller around existing PWM controller ICs or use a dsPIC or similar fast microcontroller to setup a digital controller.

What you need is a simple synchronous switcher (two switches + one inductor) that is controlled for bidirectional operation. Buck in one direction, boost in the other.

yes fvm.. it is right.

can u help me to design such projects..??

one basic thing, i want to design for 100 w @100 khz...

pls,help me to calculation of inductor for that and also capacitor selection..
pls

Inductor can be choosen as for standard boost or buck converters, e.g. 20 or 40% ripple current results in 64 respectively 32 µH. So 39 or 47 µH would be a good choice.

Capacitors at least some 100 µF at each side. High voltage side has discontinuous current and higher ripple, about 3.5 A rms, capacitors must be prepared for it.

I'm suggesting this topology. By feeding Vo instead of Vi you get boost operation.
300px-Synch_buck.PNG

For the basic equations see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck_converter

Status
Not open for further replies.