Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to Split one plane for six(6) voltages when all voltages are at consecutive pins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amina Nadeem

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm a beginner in Pcb Designing. I'm working on a six(6) layers board including two(2) power planes and (4) signal layers.One power plane is of Ground (Gnd). I have six (6) voltages on my board +5V,-5V,+12V,-12V,+50V,+28V.
First of all, The problem is how to split one power plane for 6 voltages when my board consists of nine(9) connectors which have consecutive pins of all 6 voltages.
Secondly, My board also has cu pour on top and bottom layer. Do i still need to dedicate one power plane to Ground.?

The need for a continuous power plane (usually recommended) and other design rules will be determined based on the board function. You didn't say anyhing about it, expect for the power supply point. Regarding power supply wiring, maximum rating and topology of each node must be known.

Use a single 0V/ground reference plane.

The power rails can all be tracked on the power layer or use individual copper shapes/copper pours.

It all depends upon the circuit itself, how the power interconnections go to each section etc. You may have to take the power onto other layers to get from A to B.

The days of having a simple single layer power plane are long gone (unless you can afford a layer per +v rail).

Hi Amina,

In addition to above answers, If you want your signal to jump power split in power plane use adjacent signal layers to solid ground plane (Top / GND/ Signal1 /Signal2/Split PWR plane/Bottom), that way your signal will have solid return path in Ground plane.

Thanks,
Jay.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back