Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with SSR and AC current

Status
Not open for further replies.

rafcab

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I am trying to use a solid state relay to drive a neon light bulb which uses 220 V AC. I connect the input to an Arduino board and the output to the light bulb in series with the AC source.
When Arduino is ON, the SSR activates output and the light bulb lits up, OK. But when Arduino is OFF the light bulb is not OFF, and not fully ON. I keasured voltage and input is 0.1 V, which is OK for the SSR, but output is around 160 V, which leaves around 60 V for the light bulb, and it is at half light level.
Can anyone tell me if this is the normal behaviour for the SSR and a way to work around it?

Thank you
Rafael Caballos

Yes I would think its the SSRs leakage current, possibly caused by an internal snubber capacitor, try putting a 100K resistor across the neon lower might work but is starting to consume real power, 10K ~ 4.5W. It could be that the .1V you are measuring is actually 12 V for 10mS, every second, which is just triggering the SSR. Disconnect its input, this will ensure its not the Arduino misbehaving.
frank

Yes I would think its the SSRs leakage current, possibly caused by an internal snubber capacitor, try putting a 100K resistor across the neon lower might work but is starting to consume real power, 10K ~ 4.5W. It could be that the .1V you are measuring is actually 12 V for 10mS, every second, which is just triggering the SSR. Disconnect its input, this will ensure its not the Arduino misbehaving.
frank

Thank you for your answer. I will make some checking and tell you if it works.

Rafael

Status
Not open for further replies.