Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using MAX 232 IC with the BeagleBone Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

arbj2

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I would like to connect a MAX 232 IC to the beaglebone black, I will use the UART4 serial port of the BeagleBone.

As the bone runs on 3.0 V and the MAX 232 on +5V I will not be able to use the chip directly.

So is it possible to run the MAX 232 on 3.0 V instead of 5V, the datasheet mentions a VCC range of -0.3V to +6.0V, so I think this should work, but the recommended voltages are 4.5 to 5.5V.

Is it OK to run the MAX 232 at 3.0V instead of +5.0V ??

thanks
a

Use max3232 which is specified for 3v operation

Hi.. Keith

I'm using MAX202CPE and MAX232 both are works good in 3.3V with LPC2148 UART communication...

Still I'm using .. There was no problem...

It is far safer to buy a chip designed for 3.3V operation than run a 5V chip at 3.3V and hope!

Keith

I'm using MAX202CPE and MAX232 both are works good in 3.3V with LPC2148 UART communication...

So you are operating a device out of the specs given by the manufacturer which may have its consequences, that is fine by me but when you recommend to other members to do the same too it should at least come with a clear warning that they should do it at their own risk because the device may misbehave since it is operating out of specs.

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back