Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

why a crystal of 49.152M oscliate at 16.3M?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xianweng

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi ,everybody
When I used a crystal of nominal frequency at 49.152M and two capacitance with a chip to form the pierce oscillator,is oscillates at 16.3M. It is weird. Inverter and the bias resistor has already integrated in the chip. I used two different types of oscilloscope with different probes to measure,but the result is the same. And i changed the capacitance ,the result is also same.I also changed the crystal ,but the result is the same
The fundamental frequency of crystal is 49.152M
Could anybody help me figure it out?Thanks any help in advance

Last edited:

It is for sure an overtone crystal.

This means that the crystal is ct at 1/3 of the oscillating frequency, but if you select the proper harminic, it will oscillate three times the natural frequancy.

Due to parasitics, the natural frequency is not exactely 1/3 of the overtone frequency.

Mandi

I do not have the datasheet of crystal and do not know what kand of brand it is. But there is "49.152" carved on the package.

- - - Updated - - -

How do you know that it's not an overtone crystal?
I do not have the datasheet of crystal and do not know what kand of brand it is. But there is "49.152" carved on the package.

- - - Updated - - -

It is for sure an overtone crystal.

This means that the crystal is ct at 1/3 of the oscillating frequency, but if you select the proper harminic, it will oscillate three times the natural frequancy.

Due to parasitics, the natural frequency is not exactely 1/3 of the overtone frequency.

Mandi
Maybe you are right.I will buy some new crystal

There are means to force the crystal to oscillate at the overtone, e.g. a parallel LC circuit tuned to the overtone or a series LC tuned to the unwanted fundamental.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back