Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power amplifier for very low input power and high gain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osawa

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What type of power amplifier good for amplification signal with very low input power about -120dBm and high gain about 30dB?
It is used in GNSS receiver.

GNSS satellite system use CDMA modulation, so the circuit needs a linear amplification.
At this low output power level (+10dBm) the amplifier efficiency probably is not such important, so a Class-A Power Amplifier would be a good option getting good linearity and high gain.

Reactions: Osawa

Osawa

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Well, with output power +10dBm do you mean that power gain have to be 110dB?
My input power is very small, it is -120dBm.

very low input power about -120dBm and high gain about 30dB?
That would give output of -90dBm.
-120 +30 = -90
Well, with output power +10dBm do you mean that power gain have to be 110dB?
No, it must be 130dB.
The difference between +10 and -120 is 130

Reactions: Osawa

Osawa

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Yes, I was mistaken.
For design such a low output power, is there a procedure to do it? I tried to do it as the way to design a normal power amplifier but because Pout is very low and therefore Rload from the formula Pout = Vdd^2/(2RLoad) is very very large about tens giga ohms.

and therefore Rload from the formula Pout = Vdd^2/(2RLoad) is very very large about tens giga ohms.
Right calculation but wrong formula.

Right calculation but wrong formula.

I don't know why it is wrong?
Assuming that the output voltage swings between 0 and 2Vdd and it is a sinusoidal.
=> P = Vrms^2/Rload = (Vdd/sqrt(2))^2/Rload = Vdd^2/(2Rload).

But load impedance for RF amplifiers will be usually 50 ohm, maybe 100 or 200 ohm in special cases.

But load impedance for RF amplifiers will be usually 50 ohm, maybe 100 or 200 ohm in special cases.

Yes, the load resistance that I calculated is the one we get after impedance transformation network.
For example, with 50 ohms load we can make it up to 10 Gohms with impedance transfomation network.

For example, with 50 ohms load we can make it up to 10 Gohms with impedance transfomation network.

I fear, you need to learn quite a bit about RF engineering to proceed with the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back