Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why use PrimeTime when DC can do timing analysis..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

giggs11

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,

I'm in a bit of a confusion here. I'm able to perform timing analysis on Synopsys DC but there is PrimeTime which also does STA. How would PrimeTime be more advantageous than DC's timing analysis..?

Can someone point out the advantages and uses of Primetime...?

Thanks guys.

Primet Time has some specialzed inbuillt algorithms for Meeting Timing Puposes. The timing which canot be met by DC can be met by the timingspecific engines associated with Prime time and more over PT as become Timing Sign Off by most Fabs.

1. Primetime's STA engine is a lot faster
2. More accurate delay calculator since the tool is aimed at sign-off rather than timing driven optimization
3. Support for signal integrity problem analysis (if buy the primetime SI license)
2. Although pt_shell and dc_shell apear to support the same commands at
a first glance primetime actually has many features and commands for timing
analysis that DC does not. For example, on chip variation analysis, interface-logic-models, several other types of timing models, advanced reporting capabilities.

There are probably many more reasons...

PT algo are faster than DC,
also DC cant do STA well.

I think its more accurate and faster to use PT than DC's timing analyis tool

Becasuse the Simulator can't simulate alll the path, and simulate need too many clock cycle

hi guys,

Sarath, you said:

"Prime Time has some specialzed inbuillt algorithms for Meeting Timing Puposes. The timing which canot be met by DC can be met by the timingspecific engines associated with Prime time and more over PT as become Timing Sign Off by most Fabs."

Can PrimeTime be used to do further synthesis to meet timing constraints. Or do you mean that PT can simulate more paths of the design and for different timing analysises compared to DC...?

Thanks.

It can caculate the timing using the information obtained from the P&R stage, which contains the capacitance and resistance so that the timing dealing process is conducted by the same timing engine. How can you assure yourself that the timing results from different engines are compatible and which one is more accurate? The PT has a sign-off accuracy.

The timing arc coverage , i think is different. In buildgate i have see a command "report_analyse_coverage" , which will report the timing arc coverage at synthesis.I don't know if DC have the same command. If DC have the command, you can try compare DC and PT timing analyse coverage may different.

Prime Time is a standard for nowdays industrial design timing closure.

When i use Buildgate , I have see the timing coverage of BuildGate : check setup 86% , check holdup 61%, in my porject.

PT is more powerful than DC,such as case analysis or SI analysis. Meanwhile, PT
is faster than DC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back