Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PC Hard disk backup (Clone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hussain1.bangalore

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
HI ALL

I have 2 PC's both Have Hard Drive (of 160GB) identical drivers and software's, But one of PC hard drive is failed, As i dont have any software's and related operating system to install in New Hard drive, So i need to get the Back up (cloning) from other PC (Working PC),

Back up means : I need same software's,operating system etc etc to install in new hard drive.

could any one help me out

Hussain

You could use the linux DD command to copy the old HD to the new HD:
dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb, where sda (or hda) is the bad drive and sdb (or hdb) is the good drive...

HI

Thanks for you Response
could you please elaborate?
As My operating system is Windows 2000

You would need a another system that is running linux... Do you have one? If so, I could elaborate on what you need to do... You would take the windows HD and attach it to another drive port on the linux system... and in this case you could use the dd command to make an image of the windows HD into a normal file on the linux system, then, remove the windows drive and replace it with your working drive, then use the dd command to write the file image which was copied to the linux system, onto the replaced HD.... It is a bit of work... Is that something you would be willing to pursue?

I am not sure if you will be able to copy all the registry and other system hidden files onto new drive. Try hiren's boot cd, do the google search and get some info on it. Best thing to do is re-install windows and all the software you want, borrow from somebody or get them from the pirate websites. You do have internet so should not be any problem also burn them on dvd for future.

HI ALL

I have 2 PC's both Have Hard Drive (of 160GB) identical drivers and software's, But one of PC hard drive is failed, As i dont have any software's and related operating system to install in New Hard drive, So i need to get the Back up (cloning) from other PC (Working PC),

Back up means : I need same software's,operating system etc etc to install in new hard drive.

could any one help me out

Hussain

Easeus Todo backup will clone disks for replacing them. There is a free version.

Keith

Keith,
As I am aware Easeus Todo Back up is only for Win XP/7/8 . I have windows 2000 operating system

Hello Keith,

Thanks for advising, I will go ahead downloading ,
Hope everything goes well

Cheers
Hussain

- - - Updated - - -

Hello,

let me try with available software's ,
next , their is no option other than your advise

thanks
hussain

I cannot remember - for a large disk such as 250GB it can take 2 or 3 hours I think.

Keith

Keith,
For cloning do we need to connect it to IDE connector? or can we use IDE to USB Adaptor

I don't know. I have only ever done it with a direct interface. You could contact Easeus - I have found them helpful even for the free products.

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back